What did you learn this week? Let us know in the comments or at email@example.com.
This week, we learned …
… under Hawaii’s starry skies, there is a fight over sacred ground.
- So, we know what’s going on on top of Mauna Kea. What’s going on below?
- Where else are indigenous groups protesting for greater sovereignty?
… humans can only live about 115 years.
- How old are you? What do you think the world will be like when you’re 115? What technology will you be using? How will you travel? What will you be wearing? Do you think there will be new countries, or countries that no longer exist? What political conflicts will be going on?
- Too many questions? What does age have to do with cognitive abilities and “processing speed”?
… an interactive globe can show climate implications of electricity for all. (Great quiz here!)
- Where are most electrical grids located?
- How is electricity for most homes and businesses generated?
- How can we balance the need for development and electricity with the need for environmental stability? (If you can think of a good answer, we need you here at Nat Geo!)
… why left-handers are so much rarer than right-handers.
- Survey your class or school. How many lefties are there? More or less than the 10% average?
… how animals change their lifestyles due to human noise.
- What animals do you think are most impacted by human-generated noise? (Remember sound travels underwater!)
- Do you think any impacts might be positive?
… Pakistan’s national baseball team just wants you to know they exist, while Cuba’s powerhouse baseball culture flickers out.
- Do you think baseball is still “America’s Pastime”?
- Do you associate any country or region with a sport? (Jamaica with running? India with cricket?)
… paleontologists found one of the largest dinosaur footprints ever.
- Where else have paleontologists found dinosaur footprints?
- How do scientists search for dinosaur footprints?
… how to teach your child emotional agility.
- What importance do you place on your child or student’s emotional agility—the ability to manage their thoughts and feelings?
… an Indian man’s mission to fix leaky taps has saved millions of gallons of water.
… the first full-fledged English-to-Yiddish dictionary in 50 years was published.
- Do you know anyone who speaks Yiddish?
- Can you think of other endangered languages?
2 thoughts on “10 Things We Learned This Week!”
Emotions always overcome us and our heart is an emotional fool!! Sometimes we just can’t even understand how to react can’t even express our feelings.. Sometimes I feel that everything is just a game of emotions.. A temporary emotion can give a permanent result.. Like in anger people can murder and than what’s the result imprisonment, hang on death it’s ever lasting.. We should always try to be practical than being emotional…
For me long life really does not matter.. Matters is how we are living… Life and death is not in our control so live life happily… Article about left hand ness was good but still we don’t know the reason about minority of lefties.. But it was very interesting to know that we decide our dominating hand in foetus.. I’m the only person in my family who is right handed remains are lefty. Don’t know!!! Why so??