What did you learn this week? Let us know in the comments or at email@example.com.
This week, we learned …
… cowboys are straight outta Compton.
- In Western movies, cowboys are most often played by white men, but most Compton cowboys are African American. What other American cultures have a strong “cowboy” tradition? Click here to learn more about the rich cowboy tradition, from Patagonia to paniolos.
… what would happen if Earth lost oxygen for five seconds. Yikes.
- What other elements are important to Earth’s atmosphere and lithosphere? Click here to get the run-down on all things Earth.
… your hair is a better identifier than your DNA.
- How can hair and DNA help identify you at all? Click here to learn more about the Genographic Project and how your class can participate.
… why purple Skittles taste different in the U.K.
- Do you associate certain flavors with certain colors? For instance, do you associate red with sweet cherries or spicy chilis? Do you think a green color indicates apple, lime, or mint? Is orange always orange?
… the Atlantic has its first ocean park.
- What is a marine park? How is it different from other marine protected areas? Click here to learn about marine parks.
… few Americans are as affected by climate change as the Inupiat—or as dependent on the fossil-fuel economy. (Editor’s pick of the week!)
- What Arctic animals might be impacted by climate change? Click here for an Arctic ecosystem coloring page.
… there are four species of giraffe. Or not.
- What factors do you think might have led to different species of giraffes evolving from one common ancestor? Click here to learn a little about speciation and natural selection.
… hundreds of Moroccan mosques are going green.
- How does the architecture of a mosque reflect its geography? Click here for a beautiful study guide on Moorish architecture.
… a 15-year-old proposed a hijabi emoji (and it may happen).
- What is a hijab? Click here for a beautifully illustrated guide to this Muslim concept of modesty and privacy.
… why paper cuts hurt so much.
- Do you think other “small and shallow injuries” also cause disproportionate pain?
… painting eyes on cow behinds may prevent lion attacks, and the more general case against housecats.
- What are some other ways conservationists are working to save lions while not hurting local farmers or cattle? Click here to learn about one Nat Geo initiative and “Build a Boma”!
2 thoughts on “11 Things We Learned This Week!”
So now I finally know what actually black currant is.. In my country also there is a confusion I think because the flavor of blackcurrant tastes like blueberry.. I hope I’m gonna soon taste the actual blackcurrant…
It was really very interesting to read about the pain of paper cut so behind this pain there are nociceptor.. Article of emojis wearing hizzab was cute for me and now mosques are getting eco friendly.. Quite impressive!!