What did you learn this week? Let us know in the comments or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This week, we learned …
… one rule followed by Mark Zuckerberg, Oprah Winfrey, and Bill Gates: 5 hours of “deliberate learning” a week.
- What are some examples of “deliberate learning”?
- How much time do you spend practicing or learning a skill every week?
- What are some other examples of fossils?
- Use this lesson plan to make a tasty “sediment fossil surprise”!
- What are some possible uses for edible batteries?
- What are some other ways tiny particles can make big differences in health care?
… a plastic cup and a shop vac will rewrite the history of the universe, and a particle accelerator is bringing peace to the Middle East.
- Where are some other particle accelerators around the world?
- What are some of the particles being accelerated?
… how an underground ice wall is Japan’s “hail Mary” to prevent flooding at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station.
- What triggered the Fukushima Daiichi meltdown?
- What other places have experienced nuclear accidents?
- Would you buy products made with biodegradable (and edible!) materials, even if they cost more than non-recyclable packaging? If so, how much more would you be willing to pay?
- How much plastic packaging does your class generate in a week?
… the legend of the Choco Taco. (Come for the cultural geography, stay for the sweets.)
- Have you ever eaten a Choco Taco? If so, what memories do you associate with it?
- Can you think of other foods that have been adapted as immigrants move to an area with different food traditions? How about crawfish tacos?
… to listen to a remarkable song made from physics data (and make your own!) and a romantic language created from the air.
- What other unusual sounds or noises do musicians use to create music?
- Can you think of any musical instruments that might not be familiar to Western audiences?
… why there are traffic jams.
- Where do the biggest traffic jams in your area develop?
- How do you think transportation engineers plan roads and bridges to diminish traffic?