“Blood diamonds” (or “conflict diamonds”) are in the news these days, thanks to Blood Diamond, a new movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
So what are “blood diamonds”? That’s the term given to illegally sold gems that fund civil war and atrocities in Sierra Leone and other African nations.
Learn more in these news stories:
- “Blood Diamonds” and How to Avoid Buying Illicit Gems
- Video: “Blood Diamonds” Leave Costly Legacy in Africa
- “Blood Diamonds” Decline, But Not PovertyAnd go deeper with these interactive features:
- Diamonds: The Real Story (National Geographic Magazine)
- Diamond Wars: A Special Report (The New York Times)
- Conflict Diamonds (U.N.)
- A Diamond’s Deep History (PBS)My Wonderful World Home | About My Wonderful World | Sign Up for Updates